by his doctor to rest and restore his health in a cool dry place.
His Majesty King Vajiravudh, Rama VI, chose to spend his summers at
the seaside in Petchaburi. He become dissatisfied with the RoyalResidence
at Chao Samran Beach because of unhealthy conditions.
His Majesty therefore decided in 1923 to build a summer palace near
the beach in Huai Sai Nua, Cha-am, District, using materials from
the dismantled buildings of the former residence. The new side was
drier and cooler. With lush natural forest and fresh water. Few people
lived nearby, though a train station was not far away.
The area, Huai Sai, means the stream where hog beer drink. His Majesty
named the new palace "Mridadayavan" which maintained the
original meaning of the place while adopting the auspicious name of
the park where the lord Buddha gave his first sermon. His Majesty
forbade hunting within the vicinity of Mrigadayavan.
Rama VI made the first designs of the palace himself. He assured good
ventilation with high ceilings and fretwork on all walls.
Building the entire structure on stilts ensured the ground could be
kept clean. Ants were controlled byniches for water around each concrete
pillar and along the plaster walls that connect to the ground. Bringing
all his ideas together, His Majesty chose an italian architect,
Ercole Manfredi, who worked in the Civil Works Department, to make the
final architectural drawings.
The palace consists of three groups of buildings. All buildings are
one story high, built of golden teak, and stand on a total of 1.080
concrete pilars. Covered wooden corridors connect all the buildings.
King Vajiravidh was able to spend only 2 summers, in 1924 and 1925,
in this Palace. Then he passed away on November 25, 1925.
sevakamataya Group of Buildings :
The sevakamatya Group of Buildings is considered a part of the Front
Court, where both men and women could join in official events.It consists
of a pavilion-like theatre, an audience hall, an office for the Royal
Aide-de-Camp General and a room for night duty chamnerlains. This part
of the Palce also served as the official entrance for the King.
Bisansagara Group of Buildings :
Bisansagara Group of Buildings was the King's personal residence. It
consists of a Royal Suit Which has an office, a bedroom, a dressingroom
and a bath room, together with a dinning pavilion, a Royal bathing pavilion
with changing rooms, and groups of rooms for Royal pages and other personnel.
During his first Royal visit in 1924, King Rama VI found his first group
of residence not very comfortable because it was set back far from the
A new building was thus added to the front of the dining pavilion. This
new building has coverd verandas to shade the rooms from sunlight. During
the second Royal visit in 1925, King Rama Vi stayed in this new residential
complex and gave permission to Chao Chom Savatana, who was pregnant,
to stay in the nearby former Royal residence.
Group of Buildings :
The Samudabiman Group of Buildings formed the inner court of the
palace, where men otherb than the king were forbidden to enter.
This part of the palace begins at the long corridor which branches off
from the Bisansagara group.
This group of buildings consists of the residence for H.M. Queen Indrasakdisaei,
buildings for her sister, and her entourage during the King's first
visit in 1924, a dinig pavilion and a Beach pavillion. The King usually
had his lunch in Thai style in the dining pavilion in the inner court.
of Mrigadayavan :
life of H.M. King vajiravudh was all too brief. Though His Majesty used
the Summer Pallace for only 2 seasons, it captured the spirit and pleasure
of that time. It also shows the life of the royal court in both its
official and personal aspects.
The Mrigadayavan Summer Palace Foundation and the department of Fine
Arts have tried to conserve and restore all the buildings, which were
deserted for decades, to their present condition. When the Royal Family
and their entourage traveled in those days, most furniture and other
accessories were brought for the occasion from Bangkok and taken back
when the King and his court left.
Few pieces of the original furniture remain from the two Royal Visits.
However, for the understanding of how the King and his court lived at
the Summer Palace , some contemporary pieces have been placed in the
most important rooms.
In 1965 H.M. KingBhumibol Adulyadej granted Royal Permission to the
Border Patrol police to use the buildings and the area of Mrigadayavan
Summer Palace for special training courses and as a base camp.
The Foundation has also setup special exhibitions on the Royal Family.
Open daily during : 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
taken from 'Mrigadayavan The summer Palace Cha-am Thailand' entrance
Palace Photo Gallery